PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal, Ryan, Washington, D.C. office
– Specializes in the valuation and appeals of complex and
investment-grade commercial real property for property tax
assessment purposes throughout Maryland, Virginia, and
– Recognized national expert in the valuation and assessment
appeals for the hospitality industry; as well as office, retail,
industrial, apartment, and special purpose properties.
– More than 20 years experience in the valuation of all types of
commercial real property throughout the United States.
- Managing Consultant, National Property Tax consulting firm, Washington, D.C. office, for more than eight years
– Built largest property tax practice in the South Atlantic market,
representing a portfolio of more than $11 billion in local
commercial real estate.
– Successfully appealed cases in every major jurisdiction in
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
– More than $20 million in total savings achieved for both national
institutional investors, as well as local property owners.
– More than 2,000 administrative appeals personally analyzed,
prepared, and presented in Washington, D.C. alone.
– Major tax reductions achieved for every major commercial
property type, including hotels, multi-tenant and owner-occupied
office and retail, conventional and subsidized apartments,
industrial, manufacturing, special use, and possessory
- Managing Consultant, National Property Tax consulting firm, Northern California office
- Senior Appraiser, large savings and loan bank
- Independent, State Certified Real Estate Appraiser and Consultant
PUBLIC SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Current member of several legislative task forces dealing with tax issues in Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Governor Warner’s Task Force to reform Virginia taxes
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation joint task force to California Assembly
- Washington, D.C. Council’s select committee to reform the Board of Real Property Assessment Appeals
- Washington, D.C. Metro AOBA / BOMA Tax Committee since 1998
Mr. Allen lectures on various tax topics for Ryan clients and the Ryan Professional Development Program. Additionally, he has appeared as a speaker for the following organizations:
- Virginia House of Delegates
- Washington, D.C. Board of Real Property Assessment Appeals
- Washington, D.C. Council
- Washington, D.C. Hotel Association
- Certified Commercial Appraiser – National Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- Certified Environmental Advisor and Consultant – National Society of Environmental Consultants
- Master Senior Appraiser – National Association of Master Appraisers
- Senior Member of California State Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- State Certified General Appraiser, licenses issued in several jurisdictions
- Master of Arts Degree, Honors in English Law, Downing College, Cambridge University
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Honors in English Law, Downing College, Cambridge University
- Honors in International Law, Downing College, Cambridge University
- Approved Appraiser Resolution Trust Corporation, Housing Urban Development, Federal Housing Authority, and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation