Principal, Property Tax
PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal, Ryan, Washington, DC office
- Several decades of experience in the valuation of all types of commercial real estate and business personal property throughout the United States.
- Specializes in providing real and personal property, transfer and recordation, exemption and abatement, and transaction tax consulting services nationwide.
- Significant experience and expertise with “Going Concern” properties such as hospitality and resort, entertainment, retail, healthcare and assisted living, as well as other branded or licensed categories of commercial real estate.
- Specializes in due diligence, ownership, and disposition valuation and tax consulting services, including, but not limited to, tax forecasting, exemption and abatement consulting, and the identification and segregation of intangible values from the taxable basis via Acquisition Price Allocation consulting services, wherein real property, personal property, and intangible property are separately identified.
- Managing Consultant, national property tax consulting firm
- Managed Washington, DC office, providing consulting services nationwide, but primarily in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Provided expert services, including, but not limited to, purchase price allocations, intangible/tangible asset valuation studies, compliance, valuation review and analysis, refund and appellate work, corporate structural and transactional planning, abatement and exemption negotiation, property tax incentive negotiation, pollution control certification, and tax forecasting analysis.
- Managed projects for major national and local Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and other commercial property holders with portfolios of up to approximately 1,000 properties.
- Manager, MidAtlantic State and Local Tax and National Property Tax practices, Big 4 public accounting firm
- Provided state and local tax consulting services in nearly all 48 contiguous states, as well as Puerto Rico.
- Provided transaction-specific purchase price allocation services to segregate tangible and intangible component values for Going Concern clientele, including, but not limited to, hotel, healthcare, and retail operations.
- Chaired National Business Personal Property Steering Committee and was a member of its various subcommittees, including Complex Properties, Pollution Control, and Embedded Intangible Costs.
- Consultant and Client Accounts Manager, national property tax consulting firm
Mr. Powell has conducted continuing education classes on various state, local, national, and international tax topics for his clients, as well as nationwide professionals from each of his prior firms. Class curriculum included topics on real and personal property taxes, legislative developments, sales and transactional taxes, international value-added taxes, state income taxes, business enterprise values, current market trends, and market impacts of technological advances. Additionally, he has appeared as a speaker for the following organizations:
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Council On State Taxation
- Washington, DC City Council
- Washington, DC Hotel Association
- Bisnow Lodging Investment Summit
BOARD & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Apartment and Office Building Association
- Appraisal Institute
- Hawaii Lodging and Tourism Association
- Hotel Association of Washington, District of Columbia
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- “Valuing Going Concern Properties for Ad Valorem Taxation – Where Do We Stand?” Institute for Professionals in Taxation (2012)
- “Going Concern Property Transactions: The Necessity of Value Allocations,” Valuation Strategies, Thomson Reuters/RIA (2011)
- “Going Concern Property Transactions: Acquisition Analysis and Asset Price Allocation,” White Paper, Ryan, LLC (2011)
- “Commercial Real Estate Tax Management: The Importance of Valuation Modeling,” White Paper, Ryan, LLC (2010)
EDUCATION & ACCREDITATION
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Foreign Affairs (Emphasis in Comparative Socioeconomics), Anthropology (Emphasis in Linguistics), and Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia
- Certificate Degree, McIntire School of Commerce, University of Virginia
- Certificate, Appraisal Institute, various courses, including, but not limited to, Course 803 – Fundamentals of Separating Real Property, Personal Property, and Intangible Business Assets, as required by the Small Business Administration for the appraisal of hospitality and other Going Concern assets
- Certificate, Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Certificate, School of Hospitality Management, Pennsylvania State University
- Registered Agent – Los Angeles County, California and Commonwealth of Kentucky