PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal, Practice Leader, Government Funding, Ryan, Mississauga office
- Specializes in providing Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) services in a wide range of technology intensive industries, including oil and gas, manufacturing, software and information technology (IT), medical devices, and pharmaceuticals.
- Experienced in accounting, tax, corporate restructuring, transaction advisory, strategy, and business development.
- Leads Ryan Canada’s government relations initiative.
- Member, Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)/Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Stakeholder Committee, Ryan
- Partner – Central Region Leader, SR&ED and Government Incentives, international mid-market accounting firm
- Developed sustainable business in the region through hiring, training, and boutique acquisitions.
- Partner and Senior Manager, SR&ED Tax Services, international accounting firm
- Led SR&ED practice in private company market.
- Led engagement team on a large oil refinery SR&ED claim, including experimental production, and successfully defended the claim through an extensive CRA audit.
- Senior Manager, Financial Advisory Services, international accounting firm
- Specialized in a broad range of financial advisory services in the corporate sector, including fraud and commercial litigation support, business valuations, restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, and financial due diligence.
- During the international currency crisis of the early 2000s, served in various senior roles providing review, analysis, and reporting relative to bank restructuring services in North America, Asia, and South America.
Mr. Douglas is a frequent speaker and writer on the SR&ED program and regularly conducts SR&ED workshops with his clients to provide them with current and relevant information regarding the program. Additionally, he has appeared as a speaker for the following organizations:
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- CPA Canada
- Tax Executives Institute
- Author, SR&ED Chapter, Business Valuation in Volatile Times
- Co-Author, SR&ED Chapter, Canadian Tax Foundation publication, Taxation of Private Companies in Canada, 2020
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario
EDUCATION & ACCREDITATION
- Graduate Diploma in Taxation, University of Waterloo (2008)
- Master of Business Administration Degree, Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario (2003)
- Ontario Institute of Chartered Business Valuators (Finalist) (2001)
- Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (CIRA), American Institute of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (2000)
- Global Financial Systems and Markets (Honours), Institute of Canadian Bankers (1999)
- Chartered Accountant, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (1993)
- Chartered Accountancy Credits, Wilfrid Laurier University (1989–1991)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Economics, University of Western Ontario (1987)