PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal, Ryan, Houston – 1233 West Loop S office
- Leads team of professionals specializing in the identification, substantiation, and documentation of federal and state tax credits for increasing research activities for a wide range of industries and companies as well as the representation of clients through internal revenue service and state taxing authority examination.
- Director, Income Tax, Ryan, Houston office
- Senior Director, Research and Experimentation (R&E) Tax Credits, national tax firm
- Executive level lead of groups calculating, delivering, and defending through examination federal and state R&E tax credit claims.
- Attorney, Litigation, law firm
- Attorney, Litigation, statewide law firm
- Experience as trial counsel includes the prosecution of more than 30 research-related tax credit matters, completed before the United States Tax Court, United States Court of Federal Claims, and United States District Court, in a variety of industries.
- Prominent litigation matters include:
- Co-Counsel and Lead Briefing Attorney for Appellant in United States v. McFerrin, 570 F.3d 672 (5th Cir. 2009).
- Co-Counsel and Lead Briefing Attorney for Petitioners in Shami v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo 2012-78 (March 21, 2012) and Co-Counsel and Lead Briefing Attorney for Appellant in Shami v. Commissioner, 741 F.3d 560 (5th Cir. 2014).
- Co-Counsel and Lead Briefing Attorney for Petitioners in Suder v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo 2014-201 (October 1, 2014).
- Co-Counsel for Defendants in Goertz v. United States, A-09-CV-179-LY (W.D. Tex. filed March 11, 2009) and non-reported opinions at 2009 WL 1664085 (June 11, 2009) and 2010 WL 2900309 (July 20, 2010).
- Master of Laws Degree, Health Law, University of Houston
- Juris Doctorate, South Texas College of Law
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, History, The University of Texas at Austin
- Attorney, Licensed in Texas
(Ryan is not a law firm.)