PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal, Ryan, Fort Lauderdale office
- Specializes in providing federal income tax expertise in global interest netting, statutes of limitations, claims for refunds, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) transcription comprehension, and other IRS practice and procedure matters for Ryan TAARP®, the Firm’s proprietary tax account analysis review program.
- Partner/Founder, tax account analysis review firm
- National Partner-in-Charge, Practice, Procedure, and Administration Services, national tax firm
PUBLIC SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Branch Chief for Assistant Chief Counsel, IRS National Office, Washington, D.C.
- Adjunct Professor, LL.M. Program, Georgetown University Law School
- Attorney, Interpretative Division, IRS
- Issued legal opinions and litigation.
Mr. Ely lectures on various tax topics. Additionally, he has appeared as a speaker for the following organizations:
- American Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Federal Bar Association
- Financial Executives International
- Tax Executives Institute
Mr. Ely has published numerous articles on various practice, procedure, and controversy topics and was the editor of the Tax Practice and Procedure column of the AICPA’s publication, The Tax Advisor, and was on the Advisory Board of the Journal of Tax Practice and Procedure published bimonthly by CCH.
- AICPA’s Executive Committee
- AICPA’s Practice and Procedure Committee
- Previous Chairman
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- Juris Doctor Degree, University of Maryland
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Accounting and Business Management, University of Maryland
- Certified Public Accountant, Licensed in the District of Columbia
- Maryland State Board of Public Accountancy